Title – The Phoenix
Author – Tilly Bagshawe
Pages – 422
Publisher – HarperCollins
My rating – 4/5.
Finished #phoenix by #sidneysheldon today.
What are qualities of a great thriller –
1. Keeps velcro grasp on reader
2. Makes you wander into obscure streets and complex maze before showing the path
3. Lots of bullets, chasing and out-thinking opponents by characters
4. Their are surprises even after you have presumed story to be ending.
5. And it leaves one or two open ends for future stories.
This one has all the elements.
Story depicts a simple girl “Ella praeger” against most ferocious of crime goddess Athena.
Story revolves between continents but has main base in Greece with involvement of big political figures. In background of resurgence of Athena their is a story about relationships of Ella with her grandmother, her parents; which is quite intriguing.
Parts described on Greece island convent are very interesting.
Character of Arab migrant and their journey to europe is emotional.
What I found a little less interesting –
a. Special powers of Ella are bit supernatural but are disguised as scientific breakthrough.
b. Also her physical desires keep popping up at wrong junctures ; at points when she should be most frightened.
Overall carries all features necessary for a excellent thriller.
Lots of thanks for gift by @harpercollinsin
#bookreview #bookblogger #currentread